At our New York State bed and breakfast, we are committed to providing environmentally friendly, green lodging.
Watch our short video to see what we do to promote "Green Living" to our guests.
These are some of the things we do to contribute to the environment:
We are sorry to say, that the WindTamer has been removed.
- Enjoy your stay
- Fall 2009 installation of Low-E storm windows and lots of weather stripping to increase the efficiency of our circa 1810 original windows, yet preserving history.
- Limited or no paper with:
- Online marketing
- Online reservations
- Online reservation confirmations
- Online banking
- "No smoking" Inn
- Bulk dispensers for amenities (no small plastic bottles or wrappers)
- Amenities - 100% natural, biodegradable
- Hot water - 125-130 degrees F (52-55 degrees C)
- Bosch HE washer and dryer
- Linens changed between guests or on request (towels on floor or in tub)
- Laundry detergents - biodegradable, concentrated liquid
- Microfiber towels and water for cleaning, rather than paper towels and chemicals
- Steam cleaning to eliminate chemical cleaning
- Recycling available for guest involvement
- Glass dishes and glasses, no paper or polystyrene foam
- Cloth napkins used instead of paper napkins
- Cloth kitchen towels
- Line dry clothes in summer when possible
- Run dishwasher only when completely full, hand wash as much as possible
- Ceiling fans, reversible
- Solar energy is lighting signage
- Motion sensor for lights on guest walk way
- Compact fluorescent lighting - thinner off-white, vinyl-backed lampshades
- Dimmers on light switches
- Low-flow toilet water
- Provide reusable hot/cold beverage containers for guest use
- Produce is local and fresh, reducing transportation environmental impact
- Bulk purchasing to reduce packaging
- Reusable grocery bags
- Filtered drinking water provided upon request with breakfast, not wasted
- Filtered water dispenser available for guests to refill their own water bottles
- Use of sugar bowls, pitchers for cream, and small serving dishes for butter and jellies, not individually wrapped items
- Use a mulcher to create our own mulch from yard and garden clippings
- Organic compost
- Appliances, such as TVs, radios, and clocks, unplugged when not in use
- Thermostats programmed and lowered to 64 degrees (cold seasons/24 hrs.) when rooms not in use
- Open windows encouraged for summer cooling or programmed A/C at 78 degrees when requested
- Extra blankets - room can be kept colder on winter nights if guests prefer
- Electric fireplaces in each room
- Live potted plants keep air healthier
Thank you for helping us to stay "Green"
We are proud to display our award from Clear Channel 100.5, The Drive. We are the recipient of the 2008 Greenies Award, recognizing our efforts educate and promote green living.
There is nothing better than fresh-washed sheets that have been sun kissed and dried in the breeze, to help you sleep well.
Lynda & Bob Dobberstein
Abner Adams House Bed and Breakfast
2 Howard Avenue
Bloomfield, NY 14469